What do I do about a knocked out tooth?
Knocking out a tooth is surprisingly common, with dentists treating an estimated 5 million cases per year in the United States. Yet if it happens to you or your child, panic can quickly set in. For the best chances of saving the tooth, stay calm and follow these steps:
1. Handle the tooth carefully: Pick it up only by the chewing surfaces, never by the root.
2. Rinse away dirt: Do not use soap, toothpaste, or cleaners. Do not rub or scrub.
3. Replace the tooth: If possible, gently reposition the tooth in its socket and hold it in place.
4. Keep it moist: If you cannot reinsert the tooth, place it in the mouth or submerge it in milk. Do not use water, which can damage the root cells.
5. See an emergency dentist: See a professional within 30 minutes if possible. Teeth can sometimes be saved after an hour or more, but 30 minutes is considered the ideal window.
At Family Dental Care of Bellevue, we are committed to providing quality dental care to our patients and their families. We are proud to have been voted one of the best dental offices in Washington State. If you are ready to take the first steps toward improving your dental health, we invite you to call 425-643-5778 today to make an appointment for your initial consultation.